Media [Anime review] Darker than Black [/Anime review]

KaiserWilhelmll

KaiserWilhelmll

Employed
Sep 3, 2021
This one was recommended on neets so it stands to reason that I'll review it here. I watched it quite a while ago so doing it from memory.

Synopsis : DTB is a sci fi thriller taking place in near future when two high anomaly events called "gates" appear in Brazil and Tokyo. The appearance of these gates coincided with disappearance of the real sky and stars which are replaced by a "fake" sky. (whatever that means, they never explain) . Further many humans turn into Contractors, which are basically people with special mutant powers who lack human emotions .

Our protagonist Hei is a contractor working for a secret organisation called the Syndicate, doing dangerous work with the end goal of finding his missing sister

Review : I would say its above average. There is nothing exceptionally bad about it but nothing mindblowing either. There are quite a few good moments spread out across the runtime.

What I liked about it the most was that it was thematically mature (by anime standards). The characters actually act like they are adults in an adult world. IRL intelligence agencies like CIA, MI6 play a big role in the plot, and people of multiple nationalities are involved, which is always welcome. In these aspects this show reminds me of Black Lagoon which too balances fantasy with a dose of realism. I wouldn't be surprised if the same team were behind both of these.

As the name suggests the show is dark. Bad things happen to good people and themes of hopelessness and nihilism are ever present.

Hei's team is a mixed bag. I liked the cat Mao. Yin did nothing for me and her larger presence in season 2 was certainly its weakness. I really liked the obnoxious trucel who brought them missions, which I'll elab on later. Misaki is of course best girl but her uptightness could be annoying sometimes.

The anime is structured as a compilation of two episode long mini arcs ( like stardust crusaders) each having a different mission and an over arching plot about a big conspiracy involving multiple government organisations and mafia.

Final verdict : I think if the synopsis and genre interest you then its definitely worth checking out. Its short and doesn't unnecessarily drag on like some other anime. But it leaves things at a somewhat unsatisfactory end. Many things remain unexplained and characters are not fully realised. Maybe its further elabed in the mango

It was interesting to see how Huang's arc played out. There really is no redemption for aged trucels. And any hope at love is a lie. That MI6 kid was a better doll character than Yin ever was. Infact the whole romance plot in season 2 with lolis falling for Hei was stupid.

Last edited:
D

daylily

Banned
Apr 27, 2024
I'll start watching it today and give you my thoughts when I'm finished. The premise reminds me of High Card, if you've heard of it. It also features a highly anomalous event, where in that cards that endow the holder(s) different abilities are stolen from an organization, so there's a power struggle that breaks out between two entities. The cards in the midst of said power struggle are spread out throughout the world, and so the plot is predicated on the gathering of these cards which have fallen into the wrong hands. I recommend it as well if the synopsis interests you and there was a second season that recently released; however, I didn't take it upon myself to watch it, as it seemed to be egregiously worse than the initial.

Neet194012940

Neet194012940

Thetan
Jan 20, 2024
whatever you do don't watch season two it was so bad and made most of it's revenue off russian kissanime ads because they added some girl with red hair

anton.p

anton.p

IQ = 126
Apr 10, 2024
whatever you do don't watch season two it was so bad and made most of it's revenue off russian kissanime ads because they added some girl with red hair
Hei also got nerfed so that the focus is on the new "protagonist". Some organization took his contractor ability from him :rolleyes:

Activity
So far there's no one here