Discussion dating app algorithms are intentionally rigged.

neetastrea

neetastrea

gothcel
Apr 15, 2024
1: how do these algorithms work?
every dating app has a separate algorithm of course, but in general they work in a MMR or ELO system, not dissimilar to video game matchmaking. what every app counts as a win is different but generally speaking it consists of likes, bought superlikes/hearts and matches. the most simplistic form was tinders old system, which was an adaptation of chess ranking. if you match (counted as a win) with someone in a higher division, you will gain a score faster. if you swipe on someone and they don’t swipe back, you lose score. you also gain score if someone swipes on you and you do not swipe back. this essentially segregates high value from low value people, not in the incel sense but quite literally in terms of how valuable those people are to the company. more attractive people make more money for the app as people are more willing to spend money to win their attention. in some cases, like with chinese gay dating app “blued” the algorithms will even sort people into distinct categories based on type. for example, said app would sort people into categories like ”muscular” then match people based on that. in addition, many platforms actively sort by popularity rather than compatibility . in a study (https://pubsonline.informs.org/doi/10.1287/msom.2022.0132) it was found “Users join online dating platforms to find matches, but the companies creating the platforms also need to generate revenue. Companies make money through ads, subscriptions, and in-app purchases. For this reason, platforms may seek to keep users engaged on their platforms rather than maximizing their chances of finding the perfect person”
2: dating apps and their algorithms.affect people’s perception of one another.
with this rating system in mind, it’s actually beneficial on dating apps to be as selective as possible; to not take risks and only swipe on people who seem to be around your rating and will swipe back. dating apps are inherently inorganic, instead of seeing a person in full, you maybe glance at their profile, they’re nothing more than a tiny piece in the digital abyss, and if you swipe left you will probably never see them again.
my personal opinion is that this level of dehumanization is not natural or healthy when dating and that idea repulses me. it seems to be getting increasingly harder to find love in a digital world and these apps don’t want you to find a partner.

this post was a bit ranty and high effort so i apologize for that but i thought the subject matter might be relevant or interesting to some users on the forum.

neetastrea

neetastrea

gothcel
Apr 15, 2024
TLDR: They’re rigged against ugly people
no, mostly rigged to keep people in the system. it actively does not benefit them to give high value people good matches, because those people make them money and therefore they don’t want them leaving the apps once they find a partner.

Lain

Lain

NEET
Jul 19, 2021
An interesting strategy I've heard was to farm ELO by setting your profile to males only. You lose ELO when you try to match with someone but they don't match with you. If you match with no males but they try to match with you, your ELO is significantly higher. You then disable the ability for males to match with you and enable females and every female in your area will see you at the top of recommendations. How true this is, I'm not sure, it sounds legitimate to me though.

uglyboi1

uglyboi1

Homeless nerve damaged neet
Dec 12, 2021
Hello american fucking retard faggot i havent worked a nigger job in 9 years and get 1k+ a month in benefits why would i work in chronic pain as a fucking sub 4 autist with hand atrophy and an underbite? N

shanameh

shanameh

NEET
May 7, 2024
You have no idea about anything brocel I probably have a higher income than you brah
Images290

Activity
So far there's no one here