Serious I literally have OCD. Just confirmed this with google. Turns out I have the 'existential OCD'!!! It's over...

Based Vampire

Based Vampire

Sleep late, and read trashy books!
Mar 23, 2023
Many people in the general public and the media have a very stereotypical image of what OCD is all about. Individuals with OCD are seen as people who either wash their hands too frequently, or who are super-organized and perfectionistic. Thus, it can be difficult to recognize the types of OCD that don’t resemble these common stereotypes. The reality is, there are many forms that OCD can take. The types and topics of your obsessions and compulsions are limited only by your brain’s ability to imagine.

Many of us grapple with existential questions about the meaning of life, the universe, existence, and so on, at one point in our lives. However, for those with a type of OCD called Existential OCD, or “Philosophical OCD”, these questions can become all consuming. Existential OCD involves intrusive, repetitive thinking about questions which cannot possibly be answered, and which may be philosophical or frightening in nature, or both. The questions usually revolve around the meaning, purpose, or reality of life, or the existence of the universe or even one’s own existence. These same questions might come up in a university philosophy or physics class. However, most people can leave such classes or read about these topics and move on to other thoughts afterwards. Similar to other forms of OCD, individuals with Existential OCD can’t just drop these questions.
Individuals with existential obsessions typically spend hours going over and over these questions and ideas, and may become extremely anxious and depressed. When they do seek help, they may be seen as suffering from worries or existential fears, or be misdiagnosed as suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder. However, when a person battles ongoing intrusive, repetitive, persistent, anxiety-producing, doubtful thoughts of this nature, it is most likely Existential OCD.
Steve, a 26 year-old computer programmer: “I can’t stop thinking about why we’re all here and whether there’s any purpose to life. I keep going over it in my mind all day long. I have continual thoughts of how one day I’ll be dead and no one will remember me. It will be as if I never existed. Then I ask myself, what is the use of doing anything if we’re all going to die anyway?”
Marty, a 19 year-old college student: “Every day I spend hours looking at myself in the mirror and I wonder – Is this really me? How do I know? What makes me, me, and how do I know I am who I think I am? How do I know the things I feel are my own real feelings, or that my thoughts are my own real thoughts? I also keep thinking about how vast the universe is and how we’re all just tiny specks that are meaningless. I keep thinking that because we are so insignificant, nothing we do matters, so why not give up on everything?”
Another common theme in Existential OCD is that your thoughts mostly revolve around uncertainty, and in general we humans don’t like uncertainty.

This article is describing me. LITERALLY. Holy crap. I'm fucked guys. So fucked... BRO I wish we humans didnt evolve to the point where we can use our abstract thinking to ask these existential questions. This is literally a torture for me...

That's literally the reason why I can't focus on ANYTHING except gaming (even gaming doesnt work now, I stand up from my chair and begin ruminating on this bullshit again for 20-40 minutes, then return to the game...) and move ON with my life doing what I truly want to be doing following my dreams and passions.

Apparently the best way to deal with this bullshit is to overload yourself with these questions to the point where you become bored. And thus they lose your grip on you. But what do I truly do maybe I need to visit a shrink. On the other hand the type of advice that the website gives is just basic shit that you can do on your own without paying some idiot hundreds of dollars...
When you have OCD, your obsessive doubts cannot be argued with, reasoned out, analyzed, or questioned — this is especially the case with Existential OCD. There are never any lasting answers to obsessive questions. Whatever answers you may come up with can last a few minutes, but then quickly slip away in the face of newer doubts. The doubts may vary a bit, but are mostly variations on a theme. You may wear yourself out trying to find answers, or trying to get the thoughts out of your head, but these are the worst ways to deal with OCD. As mentioned previously, there are no answers to existential or any other obsessive questions.
In the “exposure” part of ERP, your therapist may ask you to deliberately and gradually expose yourself to the feared existential thoughts and images, and even learn to agree with them. You will learn to do this daily in a variety of ways that can include reading articles or books, watching videos, listening to home-made therapy recordings, writing feared words or sentences, actively agreeing with the thought of the moment, etc. As you do this, the thought gradually loses its impact, and even boredom can result. I have always told my clients that you cannot be bored and scared at the same time.

Last edited:
KARENIN

KARENIN

I wanna revive Hitler but I can't figure out how
Jul 2, 2022
But what do I truly do maybe I need to visit a shrink. On the other hand the type of advice that the website gives is just basic shit that you can do on your own without paying some idiot hundreds of dollars
anon1822 is a licensed shrink and he refuses to accept payment from neetbros :feelsthumb:
KARENIN are typing... cooking up something for me. Hopefully a helpful advice!
Nah I was originally gonna tell you OCD is a fake condition invented by kikes.

Al-Maari600

Al-Maari600

NEET
Dec 11, 2022
This article is describing me. LITERALLY. Holy crap. I'm fucked guys. So fucked... BRO I wish we humans didnt evolve to the point where we can use our abstract thinking to ask these existential questions. This is literally a torture for me...

That's literally the reason why I can't focus on ANYTHING except gaming (even gaming doesnt work now, I stand up from my chair and begin ruminating on this bullshit again for 20-40 minutes, then return to the game...) and move ON with my life doing what I truly want to be doing following my dreams and passions.

Apparently the best way to deal with this bullshit is to overload yourself with these questions to the point where you become bored. And thus they lose your grip on you. But what do I truly do maybe I need to visit a shrink. On the other hand the type of advice that the website gives is just basic shit that you can do on your own without paying some idiot hundreds of dollars...

Smoke some loud and calm down bro

Findlebert

Findlebert

NEET
Sep 11, 2023
Hah, makes me wonder if I have this, I cannot just stop thinking about these ideas! It really feels like a million thoughts at once all of which are trying to make sense of whatever I am living in. It's quite scary to be honest, because my minds seems to be able to make the existence of anything distressing. Ideas like the present moment being the only thing that really exists, that the past is merely a thought and nothing else. What is it that sets the rules, boundaries and limits on what can and cannot happen in this world, and that I am stuck here contemplating all of these things, not knowing what happens after death or if there is any end. What if i am the universe simultaneously experiencing every single form of life at once, and once this body's time ends I will move onto another being? it's a silly idea but it really worries me. The vulnerability of my own body, there's always a possibility of it being mangled in all sorts of horrific ways, all of which I cannot stop and I will have to experience every second of that. It makes everything I know (which I don't really know it's just my brains perception of it, which puts imaginary values on everything) extremely scary and it's just impossible to stop thinking about any of it! Things just feel so fake, it really feels like I'm dreaming the connections i had with my parents for example, or sentimental value i had towards material things just aren't there anymore. I feel like no matter what I can't escape this because everything there is, is what I'm trying to escape from.

By the way, writing out my thoughts helps me out I have like pages upon pages of this bullshit lol

Based Vampire

Based Vampire

Sleep late, and read trashy books!
Mar 23, 2023
Hah, makes me wonder if I have this, I cannot just stop thinking about these ideas! It really feels like a million thoughts at once all of which are trying to make sense of whatever I am living in. It's quite scary to be honest, because my minds seems to be able to make the existence of anything distressing. Ideas like the present moment being the only thing that really exists, that the past is merely a thought and nothing else. What is it that sets the rules, boundaries and limits on what can and cannot happen in this world, and that I am stuck here contemplating all of these things, not knowing what happens after death or if there is any end. What if i am the universe simultaneously experiencing every single form of life at once, and once this body's time ends I will move onto another being? it's a silly idea but it really worries me. The vulnerability of my own body, there's always a possibility of it being mangled in all sorts of horrific ways, all of which I cannot stop and I will have to experience every second of that. It makes everything I know (which I don't really know it's just my brains perception of it, which puts imaginary values on everything) extremely scary and it's just impossible to stop thinking about any of it! Things just feel so fake, it really feels like I'm dreaming the connections i had with my parents for example, or sentimental value i had towards material things just aren't there anymore. I feel like no matter what I can't escape this because everything there is, is what I'm trying to escape from.

By the way, writing out my thoughts helps me out I have like pages upon pages of this bullshit lol
Maybe you do. I was also doing some journaling. Writing the same pessimistic bullshit over and over and over again. But it did help. Maybe I should start again. Right now I was able to achieve a mindset which allows me to ruminate less. I'm not spending hours every single day anymore and I can concentrate on things, at last. Although it's not always easy. takes time to battle this habit I guess

Activity
So far there's no one here