Venting I seriously don't understand why you would want to bring children into this world. I really don't.

Based Vampire

Based Vampire

Sleep late, and read trashy books!
Mar 23, 2023
Just to clarify, I wouldn't necessarily describe myself as a staunch antinatalist. I just don't see how you could justify bringing a kid into existence. I see procreation as fundamentally irrational, not based on good reason.

People usually don't even process their decision to have a kid, they just take action (put p in v)! And then try to justify their stupidity with some 'great meaning'.

'Darling, let's have a baby! I want a baby!'. A few of those people who make a specific decision to have a kid do so for some selfish reason. To make themselves feel better, joyful, financially secure or to give themselves a purpose in life. They rarely ever consider a child's interests! 'I wanna have a son man! I wanna have muh legacy man! I wanna pass on my genes man!' (as if there is something inherently special about your genes.. and as if you don't realize that your grand grand grand grand grand grand kids will have less than 1% of your DNA material). Essentially, all these reasons boil down to using a person (a child) as a mere means to achieve some end (usually selfish).

But what is wrong with being selfish and egoistic, Based Vamp? Because egoism is not a very good philosophy. If the only thing that matters is our own well-being, we can justify anything (rape, murder, etc.) as morally right as long as it serves our own well-being. Which goes against our basic moral intuitions. Egoism is a very bad and contradictory philosophy.

Is there a single unselfish reason to bring a child here? I don't think so. Unless one tries to say that coming into existence is always a benefit ('I want to bring a child here so that he could experience this beautiful existence!') which is very controversial. Just look at the amount of suffering that people are facing in life. How can you know if your child is going to have a good life? (Philosophers STILL don't know what a GOOD life is, for fuck's sake. All theories of well-being are super controversial!). Is it really worth the hassle to bring a potential person out of the blissful non-existent state to gamble with his life? Need I remind you that It's not as simple as counting all the good stuff in life versus all the bad stuff. Things like life's trajectory, mortality and meaning come into play here too. Yet, people can't even imagine that there is such depth to this question. They just take action. They don't think. That's the reason we ended up here. It's crazy man. It's just crazy to me.

Last edited:
Activity
So far there's no one here