What anime genres do you avoid at all costs

• Thread starter KaiserWilhelmll
  • Start date
anon1822fourthacc

anon1822fourthacc

I want to be the richest man in Laos! I love Laos!
Nov 25, 2022
Anything in the vein of Clannad, Stein's Gate. I don't cry at movies or anything at all, really. But those kinds of anime just have a way of making your soul hurt. Clannad and Stein's Gate made me cry like a little bitch. Tuturu.

anon1822fourthacc

anon1822fourthacc

I want to be the richest man in Laos! I love Laos!
Nov 25, 2022
Bruh! Stein's Gate was a awesome series
I know, it's one of my few 10/10 on MAL. But I avoid the genre now, it gets me too emotional even though I'm emotionless 99% of the time. It gets the floodgates to open.

Looksmax Refugee

Looksmax Refugee

-
Feb 28, 2021
I was watching a harem anime with a lot of nudity a few days ago, and in the middle of the season I had a breakdown of shame and questioned what I was doing with my life. I'm never going to watch any anime that's TOO perverse ever again, but I'm fine with a little fan service here and there.

T

THE NEWer HONKLER

Banned
Aug 13, 2022
I was watching a harem anime with a lot of nudity a few days ago, and in the middle of the season I had a breakdown of shame and questioned what I was doing with my life. I'm never going to watch any anime that's TOO perverse ever again, but I'm fine with a little fan service here and there.
average zoomer take

Looksmax Refugee

Looksmax Refugee

-
Feb 28, 2021
Also

-anime that's TOO moe like "Non non biyori"

-sports anime

-Lgbtq shit

Saito

Saito

NEET
Sep 19, 2021
Anything in the vein of Clannad, Stein's Gate. I don't cry at movies or anything at all, really. But those kinds of anime just have a way of making your soul hurt. Clannad and Stein's Gate made me cry like a little bitch. Tuturu.
Clannad Afterstory made me cry as if I lost a family member

AI-cel

AI-cel

Hikkikomori
Dec 8, 2022
most of anime is for kids imo
in manga they are way less censorship and more artistic vision, i prefer psychological and philosophy genres there

KaiserWilhelmll

KaiserWilhelmll

Employed
Sep 3, 2021
most of anime is for kids imo
in manga they are way less censorship and more artistic vision, i prefer psychological and philosophy genres there
Any good recs?

AI-cel

AI-cel

Hikkikomori
Dec 8, 2022
Any good recs?
Homunculus, really liked it.
After that, Vagabond is well know for incredible drawing and there is def some philosophy underneath it
Monster < dndrd
Reality < dndrd
Kokou no Hito - amazing and lifefuel, one of those inspiring shit that will give you motivation boost
Holy land - great manga overall, even greater if you have boxing experience
Gantz - very very interesting, was reading this for hours straight

KaiserWilhelmll

KaiserWilhelmll

Employed
Sep 3, 2021
Holy land - great manga overall, even greater if you have boxing experience
I thought this was gonna be about sports but it looks interesting.

O

Officer KD6-3.7

NEET
Nov 28, 2020
You're not wrong. I finished, around the same time, both Clannad and Steins;Gate as visual novels. Then, had to forcibly suppress the overwhelming urge to LDAR all day after each one (which I did anyways). Undoubtedly, those vns were not beneficial for my mental health.
Those soul-hurting moments, in a visual novel format, were incredibly suffocating and Steins;Gate was the absolute worst offender bar none.

{le spoiler alert}

That is, Mayuri's death, and, subsequently, seeing Okabe being utterly alone in the universe by virtue of his reading steiner ability. And, from there, experiencing him haphazardly finding every possible way to prevent her death via the time leap machine while mentally retaining each and every single time he failed. Yet, to see him ultimately realize that her death was an absolute point of convergence of all the alpha worldlines was gut wrenching. Then, experiencing his "hopeful" eureka moment being that had to potentially sacrifice Makise (along with everything that occurred the alpha worldline) and their relationship by not sending the first d-mail in order to increase worldline divergence to the beta attractor was the nail in the coffin for me personally. That and Suzuha's letter altogether, etc. Coupled with with Okabe's inner monologue made everything immeasurably worse. I mean, watching the anime afterward felt tame in comparison.

Even worse, I got the Mayuri ending in the VN where Makise dies and Okabe stays put on the beta worldline (he doesn't make it to Stein's Gate) and therefore inevitably dies, along with Mayuri, in WW3. Which is undoubtedly worse than even the Steins;Gate 0 worldline.
That realization, after completing the VN, was precisely when I cried like a little bitch and is the moment when my soul was destroyed.

Never. Again.

Last edited:
KaiserWilhelmll

KaiserWilhelmll

Employed
Sep 3, 2021
You're not wrong. I finished, around the same time, both Clannad and Steins;Gate as visual novels. Then, had to forcibly suppress the overwhelming urge to LDAR all day after each one (which I did anyways). Undoubtedly, those vns were not beneficial for my mental health.
Those soul-hurting moments, in a visual novel format, were incredibly suffocating and Steins;Gate was the absolute worst offender bar none.

{le spoiler alert}

Mayuri's death, and, subsequently, Okabe being utterly alone in the universe by virtue of his reading steiner ability. And, from there, experiencing him haphazardly finding every possible way to prevent her death via the time leap machine while mentally retaining each and every single time he failed.
Yet, only for him to ultimately realize that her death was an absolute point of convergence of all the alpha worldlines was gut wrenching.
Then, his "hopeful" eureka moment being that had to potentially sacrifice Makise and their relationship by not sending the first d-mail in order to increase worldline divergence to the beta attractor was the nail in the coffin for me.
That and Suzuha's letter altogether is just not something I want to experience again. Coupled with with Okabe's inner monologue made everything immeasurably worse. I mean, watching the anime afterward felt tame in comparison.

Even worse, I got the Mayuri ending in the VN where Makise dies and Okabe stays put on the beta worldline (he doesn't make it to the Stein's Gate) and therefore inevitably dies, along with Mayuri, in WW3. Which is undoubtedly worse than even the Steins;Gate 0 worldline.

That realization, after completing the VN, was precisely when I cried like a little bitch and is the moment when my soul was destroyed.
View attachment 59480
Huh. I don't remember the anime being all that emotional. It was fun though. Many other anime copied that loop concept later on. Which itself seems to be inspired from "The Time Traveler's" wife story. Anyway, play To The Moon
Now that game did make me cry

O

Officer KD6-3.7

NEET
Nov 28, 2020
Huh. I don't remember the anime being all that emotional. It was fun though. Many other anime copied that loop concept later on. Which itself seems to be inspired from "The Time Traveler's" wife story. Anyway, play To The Moon
Now that game did make me cry
So I heard. I've been meaning to pick up on steam, along with some other rpg maker games.
Maybe some day.

O

Officer KD6-3.7

NEET
Nov 28, 2020
Huh. I don't remember the anime being all that emotional. It was fun though.
I don't know, man. It wasn't even Mayuri's death that got me, rather it was experiencing Okabe's crippling loneliness and utter helplessness while tirelessly battling fate as the most isolated man in a unsympathetic and indifferent universe. That and solely experiencing him undoing his friends' (who are similarly lonely) desperately sought dreams. Along with his own in the process, while, simultaneously, losing everything countless times over just to merely return to the very origin point where it all began. Therefore, leaving him as the only one mentally retaining every prior moment that happened was emotionally engaging and powerful.

The accumulation of that and everything else, along with that shit ass ending I got in the VN, made me emotional and I usually don't get emotional like that.

Last edited:
O

Officer KD6-3.7

NEET
Nov 28, 2020
Bruh! Stein's Gate was a awesome series
It truly was.
I know, it's one of my few 10/10 on MAL.
Objectively, I think Steins;Gate is probably like an 8 (it has it's flaws). But, personally, that shit is a 10/10 for me as well.
it gets me too emotional even though I'm emotionless 99% of the time. It gets the floodgates to open.
I find that media is the only way to make me emotional too. I never feel anything in real life.

Last edited:
Activity
So far there's no one here