Hikkikomori
Dec 8, 2022
jannies love my nuts bro

2697E3C5 5355 4316 8176 4BE63DC5714E

D

dungeondragon

Banned
Jan 30, 2023
Same, but peanuts have a lot of lectins because they're a legume, so I always soak them with sea salt then roast them.
That is the second time I have seen you mention lectins. A quick search has shown me that it can cause problems during digestion/toxic (especially when not cooked before consumption). The more you know. I'm not the biggest nuts fan, but am looking to get back into lentils again (maybe, maybe - I have a love-hate relationship with them). I am lactose-intolerant, so already have had to exclude a sizeable chunk of foods from my diet.

Robtical

Robtical

NEET
Nov 26, 2020
That is the second time I have seen you mention lectins. A quick search has shown me that it can cause problems during digestion/toxic (especially when not cooked before consumption). The more you know. I'm not the biggest nuts fan, but am looking to get back into lentils again (maybe, maybe - I have a love-hate relationship with them). I am lactose-intolerant, so already have had to exclude a sizeable chunk of foods from my diet.
Lectins give me nausea and an upset stomach so I had to remove them as much as I can. Lentils are really healthy, but they also have a lot pf lectins. The best way to make them is to soak them over night, then boil or pressure cook them to remove most the lectins.

D

dungeondragon

Banned
Jan 30, 2023
Lectins give me nausea and an upset stomach so I had to remove them as much as I can. Lentils are really healthy, but they also have a lot pf lectins. The best way to make them is to soak them over night, then boil or pressure cook them to remove most the lectins.
Oh, yes - it seems I was already aware of lectins but had forgotten as it's been so long. I remember worrying about whether I had properly prepared/soaked my dry kidney beans when I first had them a couple years ago. Legumes do not seem to bother my stomach, luckily; I rarely ever soaked my dry lentils, unlike the kidney beans, and all went well.

Robtical

Robtical

NEET
Nov 26, 2020
Oh, yes - it seems I was already aware of lectins but had forgotten as it's been so long. I remember worrying about whether I had properly prepared/soaked my dry kidney beans when I first had them a couple years ago. Legumes do not seem to bother my stomach, luckily; I rarely ever soaked my dry lentils, unlike the kidney beans, and all went well.
Based, but they might have a compounding effect if it doesn't immediately effect you. I used to have raw peanuts, but when I'd over do it I'd feel some nausea. There might be some lectins that aren't harmful to me, but until I know for sure I will continue soaking and pressure cooking them.

D

dungeondragon

Banned
Jan 30, 2023
Based, but they might have a compounding effect if it doesn't immediately effect you. I used to have raw peanuts, but when I'd over do it I'd feel some nausea. There might be some lectins that aren't harmful to me, but until I know for sure I will continue soaking and pressure cooking them.
I will take your advice and soak my lentils henceforth. I've done it a couple times just to test - the cooking time was greatly reduced, of course, and was far easier to prepare than boiling dry lentils. The main reason I dropped lentils altogether was because, even on the lowest heat, the water would evaporate before the lentils had softened up - not a problem when you soak the lentils beforehand. Many thanks for reminding me about this - I feel like a fool for forgetting about such a simple thing, haha.

Robtical

Robtical

NEET
Nov 26, 2020
I will take your advice and soak my lentils henceforth. I've done it a couple times just to test - the cooking time was greatly reduced, of course, and was far easier to prepare than boiling dry lentils. The main reason I dropped lentils altogether was because, even on the lowest heat, the water would evaporate before the lentils had softened up - not a problem when you soak the lentils beforehand. Many thanks for reminding me about this - I feel like a fool for forgetting about such a simple thing, haha.
Lol, that's an honest mistake with the lentils. I haven't cooked them in a long time so I might have done the same, don't feel bad. I knew about lectins and soaking beans too a long time ago, but I got lazy and thought it's not that important until I started watching this doctor.

Robtical

Robtical

NEET
Nov 26, 2020
Don't really have a preference, can't even say that I like any.
Maybe you haven't had them in a while. They have lots of healthy fats and protein, and low carb.

D

dungeondragon

Banned
Jan 30, 2023
Lol, that's an honest mistake with the lentils. I haven't cooked them in a long time so I might have done the same, don't feel bad. I knew about lectins and soaking beans too a long time ago, but I got lazy and thought it's not that important until I started watching this doctor.

Very helpful video. I've always wanted a pressure cooker - most likely will invest in one in the future. My interest in legumes has been invigorated. The term "nightshade" is new to me, wasn't aware that was the proper name (Solanaceae). I really like white potatoes, which also falls under the nightshade family.

Robtical

Robtical

NEET
Nov 26, 2020
Where are peanuts?
I wanted to add them but I ran out of room, and they are a legume. Most the time peanuts are everyone's favorite if they don't have a peanut allergy. The problem is one cup of peanuts have over 600 calories, and it's all omega 6 fats, but if they are soaked and pressure cooked they're not bad in moderation.
Very helpful video. I've always wanted a pressure cooker - most likely will invest in one in the future. My interest in legumes has been invigorated. The term "nightshade" is new to me, wasn't aware that was the proper name (Solanaceae). I really like white potatoes, which also falls under the nightshade family.
Yes, nightshades have lectins, and they include tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, squash, and bell peppers. Nightshades have to be skinned and deseeded, then pressure cooked to be safe. Organic sweet potatoes are ok to eat the skin I think, but regular potatoes have to be peeled. For potatoes the darker or browner their color the more healthy they are, red is good too, white potatoes are the worse in terms of nutrition. I'm happy you became interested in beans again, they are one of the main foods centenarians eat, but only when they are prepared safely.

Last edited:
Robtical

Robtical

NEET
Nov 26, 2020
Pistachios mog but hazels are the best with chocolate :feelsstudy:
I get cacao butter and 100% coco powder, sea salt, and monkfruit, and bake them with hazelnuts and other nuts to make keto chocolate bars.

D

dungeondragon

Banned
Jan 30, 2023
Organic sweet potatoes are ok to eat the skin I think, but regular potatoes have to be peeled. For potatoes the darker or browner their color the more healthy they are, red is good too, white potatoes are the worse in terms of nutrition.
My mother consumes organic (regular and sweet) potatoes - I opt for the cheaper stuff as... it is cheaper, haha. Will be able to spend a little more when I have the disposable income.

I'm happy you became interested in beans again, they are one of the main foods centenarians eat, but only when they are prepared safely.
Legumes very much seem like no-brainer foods, integral to one's diet no matter where you live. I have grown very tired of chicken and so have retired them, hopefully indefinitely. I started eating meat more when I began working out; now retired due to injury, can no longer justify eating meat all the time. Switching (back) to fish - tinned mackerel and sardines seem to be ones I like the most (salmon is alright but too expensive). Also have to watch out for mercury content (sardines being lowest on the mercury index).

What is your view on grains like rice? I was raised to eat rice, but fatigued now so going to go back to pasta for a bit.

Last edited:
Robtical

Robtical

NEET
Nov 26, 2020
My mother consumes organic (regular and sweet) potatoes - I opt for the cheaper stuff as... it is cheaper, haha. Will be able to spend a little more when I have the disposable income.
You can get non-organic, but the only way to remove the glyphosate and pesticides is to soak the potatoes in water with vinegar and baking soda for 15 minutes.
Legumes very much seem like no-brainer foods, integral to one's diet no matter where you live. I have grown very tired of chicken and so have retired them, hopefully indefinitely. I started eating meat more when I began working out; now retired due to injury, can no longer justify eating meat all the time. Switching back to fish - tinned mackerel and sardines seem to be ones I like the most (salmon is alright but too expensive). Also have to watch out for mercury content (sardines being lowest on the mercury index).
Red lentils, black beans, and peas are the main legumes I still have. Sometimes I eat fava beans because my mom likes to make them.

That's good you stopped eating meat and chicken. If it's not pasture raised they are also full of lectins, because those animal's normal diet is grass and bugs, not gmo soy, corn and grains. The lectins that get into meat are also impossible to cook out. Wild caught small fish like sardines, shrimp, mussels, and mackeral are a lot better. You can get canned wild salmon instead of fresh or frozen, they are about the same price as canned mackerel.

Last edited:
D

dungeondragon

Banned
Jan 30, 2023
You can get non-organic, but the only way to remove the glyphosate and pesticides is to soak the potatoes in water with vinegar and baking soda for 15 minutes.
Too lazy, kek. Can't stand the smell of vinegar; don't eat potatoes that often, so I won't worry too much about it. I'll focus on other key areas that can be improved upon.

Red lentils, black beans, and peas are the main legumes I still have. Sometimes I have fava beans too because my mom like to make them.
Very based. Would have been cool to grow up with beans being a core component of my diet. No time like the present to make corrections.

That's good you stopped eating meat and chicken. If it's not pasture raised they are also full of lectins, because those animal's normal diet is grass and bugs, not gmo soy, corn and grains. The lectins that get into meat are also impossible to cook out. Wild caught small fish like sardines, shrimp, mussels, and mackeral are a lot better. You can get canned wild salmon instead of fresh or frozen, they are about the same price as canned mackerel.
I wasn't even thinking about the lectins but more the hormones and such - the feed they consume just makes that even worse! I'd rather just... forget about chicken/land meat completely. No need for it. My mother is very much into organic foods, something I didn't understand at first. Chicken is big in my culture but theirs is of a much higher quality than the store-bought, cheap meat. I also only buy canned fish; canned salmon is anywhere from 2-3x the price of canned sardines/mackerel, so it is a rare treat.

Last edited:
Robtical

Robtical

NEET
Nov 26, 2020
Too lazy, kek. Can't stand the smell of vinegar; don't eat potatoes that often, so I won't worry too much about it. I'll focus on other key areas that can be improved upon.
If you get other non-organic produce like broccoli or spinach they also have to be soaked in vinegar and baking soda. I don't like the vinegar smell either, but I have to take out the pesticides which are very harmful.
Very based. Would have been cool to grow up with beans being a core component of my diet. No time like the present to make corrections.
That's true, as long as you are under 50 and didn't destroy your thyroid, or are 100 pounds over weight, you have time to be on the correct path.
I wasn't even thinking about the lectins but more the hormones and such - the feed they consume just makes that even worse! I'd rather just... forget about chicken/land meat completely. No need for it. My mother is very much into organic foods, something I didn't understand at first. Chicken is big in my culture but theirs is of a much higher quality than the store-bought, cheap meat. I also only buy canned fish; canned salmon is anywhere from 2-3x the price of canned sardines/mackerel, so it is a rare treat.
I agree, getting grass fed and pasture raised meat is too expensive, and plant foods have everything you get in meat and more, but you need b-12, retinyl vitamin A, DHA & EPA, choline, and creatine supplementation, but they aren't expensive and will save you time for not having to cook meat.

Where I live canned wild salmon are 4 dollars a can, and wild mackerel is 3 to 3.50 dollars a can usually. Even though they are not expensive I only have them occasionally.

Last edited:
6speedmanual

6speedmanual

Progressing
Dec 1, 2020
I wanted to add them but I ran out of room, and they are a legume. Most the time peanuts are everyone's favorite if they don't have a peanut allergy. The problem is one cup of peanuts have over 600 calories, and it's all omega 6 fats, but if they are soaked and pressure cooked they're not bad in moderation.

Yes, nightshades have lectins, and they include tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, squash, and bell peppers. Nightshades have to be skinned and deseeded, then pressure cooked to be safe. Organic sweet potatoes are ok to eat the skin I think, but regular potatoes have to be peeled. For potatoes the darker or browner their color the more healthy they are, red is good too, white potatoes are the worse in terms of nutrition. I'm happy you became interested in beans again, they are one of the main foods centenarians eat, but only when they are prepared safely.
I like that they are so calorie dense. Good for bulking

RR2XCUP

RR2XCUP

What?
Jan 8, 2023
For taste I like salted pistachios and roasted hazlenuts. For health macadamia are the best, because they have omega 7 oils, and very low carb. Fresh walnuts are second best in health because they have a lot of omega 3.
Almonds, pistachios and cashews

Activity
So far there's no one here