Discussion When were you introduced to anime?

IGiveUp

IGiveUp

4:00 A.M.
Sep 11, 2021
When was the first time you were introduced to anime, what was the first show you decide to watch and were recommended? What were your first opinion on anime as a whole before and after you became a watcher?
IMG 3327

Well not counting the ones I watch as a kid without actually knowing like Digimon or Pokémon, besides those I first started to watch anime in high school like 11th grade since a friend try to convince me to watch some. Beforehand I used to make fun of it without giving it a chance like calling them Chinese cartoon for kids. The first anime I watched was Happy Sugar Life (yes the pedo lesbian show) because I listened the OP on YouTube and it went hard, the first recommended show I watch was (by the same friend) Toradora. I still wouldn’t consider myself a Weeb since I’m not really a frequent consumer unless it’s something I enjoy but at least I can say I watch it now.

parzurnacs

parzurnacs

Summer vibes 🧃🌞🏖✈️🌊🐳🌻😀
May 12, 2023
I started watching anime when I was 15. First anime that I watched was a not very popular romcom I found in Youtube that nowadays I find ultracringy so I won't say the name. Before that I watched Shin Chan as a kid I guess

I also found anime ultracringy before that, then I started liking it. Now I find it cringy again for 99% of animes out there

KaiserWilhelmll

KaiserWilhelmll

Employed
Sep 3, 2021
I think around age 3 or 4. It was a localised dub of a cartoon that could technically be called "anime" since it was produced in japan. That one and Speed racer. Speed racer does count as anime, right?

If we're talking more mainstream anime then it was through toonami on CN. DBZ, Cardcaptor Sakura, Pokemom were the deal. This was in primary school (around 3rd grade)

Muri

Muri

Tired
Apr 11, 2022
Definitely when I was I dunno 6 or 7 on TV always thought anime was just some American cartoon for example yugioh naruto and bakugan and stuff and then years later in like late 8th grade I meet this dude who was a massive weeb he was like yeah check it out dude but back then I was hesitant because it was just weird seeing big booby bouncing anime chicks but yeah after that when school ended I was very lost so I picked up anime as a cope first one I watched was sukitte ii na yo and the rest is history

bloomedwengts

bloomedwengts

:3
Dec 7, 2020
I think around age 3 or 4. It was a localised dub of a cartoon that could technically be called "anime" since it was produced in japan. That one and Speed racer. Speed racer does count as anime, right?

If we're talking more mainstream anime then it was through toonami on CN. DBZ, Cardcaptor Sakura, Pokemom were the deal. This was in primary school (around 3rd grade)
you're totally not a boomer

BloatmaxxManlet2022

BloatmaxxManlet2022

Be the king of bulking
Nov 13, 2021
For me in my elementary school years, gundam, pokemon, sailor moon etc. later on I was into more wrestling and then back again to anime. Note I’m a total boomer

SpacersChoice

SpacersChoice

It's not the best choice, its spacers choice
Apr 16, 2023
I was watching yugioh at 2 years old and it was my favorite show for awhile, I can't say what I thought about it before then since I was a baby.

Overall I think I had a good taste in shows for being a kid but now I pretty much stopped watching shows and just focus on doing stuff

T

TigerFestival

Balding black subhuman weeb
May 29, 2023
For me I was around 6 or 7 when I watched the Samurai Pizza Cats. It stood out to me from alot of other cartoons I watched as a kid. I can then remember watching Speed Racer and Sailor Moon when I was around 8, and they gave me a similar vibe of Samurai Pizza Cats, then in 5th grade Toonami aired on Cartoon Network, I remembered watching Dragon Ball Z after school along with others such as Roroni Kenshin, Outlaw Star, Gundam Wing and Pokemon that aired on Kids WB and again these shows gave me that same vibe. In middle school is when I learned these shows were called anime and I became quite the annoying anime fanatic lol, although these days anime has fallen off the rails with all of these slice of life anime and that Onimai anime featuring a dude becoming a girl being one of the biggest ones. Sigh Anime used to be so based, now it only panders to lonely Japanese men who want to relive their high school years or worse become girls since being a man sucks in Japan. Ugh.

Ironsides

Ironsides

✝️subhuman
May 27, 2023
Use to think it was for girls in elementary school until my male cousin told me about it and fell in love with it.
I wish Ruka Sarashina or Chizuru from rent a gf would “rape” my pp 🥰
am drunk afmaxxing rn

SoupaSilva

SoupaSilva

obies grainy sourcer
Oct 6, 2021
Other than pokemon and seeing anime on websites with drawing tutorials probably 11.

Kpwat

Kpwat

little man
Jun 1, 2023
By the time I was 8 years old I knew the big eyes cartoons were from Japan or China, and I hated them. I thought, damn those Japanese, why are they drawing eyes as big as oranges, they don't look like that, it's so unrealistic. But as I grew up, I ended up liking anime. This is called character development.

worthless

worthless

(⁠˘⁠・⁠_⁠・⁠˘⁠)
Jun 4, 2023
i really started watching anime at the end of 2014, when i was 9 y.o.

one day i was scrolling down netflix to find something to watch and kill time, then i found sword art online. i'm still stupid, but at the time i was a fucking abomination, and when i read the synopsis i was like "woeh it's a cartoon about gamers, how cool :soy:", then i got hooked by that dumbass shit. the brazilian locale of netflix only had the first season at the time and for some unknown reason i didn't google anything about it, so i only discovered that a second season had been airing in late 2014 a year later lmao.

anyway, after discovering what anime was, i got into ecchi/harem shit and i would only watch these types of shows. to make it even dumber, for some reason i didn't try to find a decent place to watch them and i would watch anime on youtube. the worst part is that it wasn't that hard to find them there, even uncensored versions. for instance, i watched the first three seasons of highschool dxd and the first one of shinmai maou no testament there, lol.

after that phase, i kinda went normal and would watch some widely-liked stuff like death note, shingeki no kyojin and hunter x hunter, and occasionally some seasonal show.

Last edited:
7yearsaneet

7yearsaneet

NEET
Jun 10, 2023
I was suicidal and thought "my life is over might aswell try anime". It was high school dxd. I loved it. I became a anime superfan. Sat all day watching harem anime. It was only much later when i started watching actual "good anime". I used to think anime was for faggots. I had the typical normalfag mindset about it. I remember someone saying they watched anime and i thought they were a faggot or something similar to that.

Activity
So far there's no one here