Who is naive here, my boomer dad, or millennial me?

anon1822fourthacc

anon1822fourthacc

I want to be the richest man in Laos! I love Laos!
Nov 25, 2022
So I mentioned to my dad how low the salaries in my country are, mentioning a government job I found online at an agency that regulates food safety. @dungeondragon

The salary is $411 at that job.

He immediately tells me "the salary doesn't matter, that job opens so many doors! You'd get "connections", you'd be able to open a food business with no corrupt people or bandits/mafias to bother you!"

I, on the other hand, think that this is total bullshit. I think this is some boomer way of thinking that might've been true long ago, but isn't anymore.

Connections? Seriously? As some lowly worker for the government?

Idk, maybe he's right. But I'm 100% sure that as an introverted loner I wouldn't get any sort of useful connections or whatever. Sure, I could try to be as sociable and nice as possible, but I don't think pure willpower can overcome a lifetime of being introverted.

Fucking boomer, that's how he is about everything. This worldview of his matches perfectly with another piece of advice he gave me: "Just go out to a cafe and talk to girls, you'll find plenty!". Fucking seriously dude? Shit, it's that easy, huh? That's why I'm a virgin at 27?

Fucking delusional boomers.

Haruhi Suzumiya

Haruhi Suzumiya

I am a cute cat, you are not :3
Jan 26, 2021
why you even wanna debate a boomer and your dad nontheless, just nod say you agree and end the convertation, they just don't get it, family slave mindset sitting on some past success.
Swiping Old Man GIF

D

dungeondragon

Banned
Jan 30, 2023
Total bullshit.

How I envy those from the boomer generation - they really lived in a completely different reality. Sure, there is a slim chance that the job may open doors (for the vast majority of workers it will not - that job is the best they can ever hope for) but you also need to possess a certain personality type (extroverted, business savvy, decent IQ, money-minded) that will enable you to start your own business (the majority of which fail, which should be common knowledge but many delude themselves into thinking they are the exception). Then you need luck. Luck favours the few.

I see many workers migrating to and from work everyday. Their office jobs are not opening any doors for them - that is all they have, and will most likely remain in that position (or ascend slightly higher) for their entire working life. The minority will be able to capitalise on their circumstances, environment and genetics (of which motivation and IQ are derived from), but the rest of us will have to make do with what he have. We aren't so lucky in that regard.

Platitudes galore. Just do this to get x - it will surely work! Not in the real world, and especially not in today's day and age of oversaturation and insane competition from not only your own country but overseas.

Nameless_sunflower

Nameless_sunflower

NEET
Sep 19, 2022
are you working full time, chud?
40h/week?

anon1822fourthacc

anon1822fourthacc

I want to be the richest man in Laos! I love Laos!
Nov 25, 2022
How I envy those from the boomer generation - they really lived in a completely different reality. Sure, there is a slim chance that the job may open doors (for the vast majority of workers it will not - that job is the best they can ever hope for) but you also need to possess a certain personality type (extroverted, business savvy, decent IQ, money-minded) that will enable you to start your own business (the majority of which fail, which should be common knowledge but many delude themselves into thinking they are the exception).

I see many workers migrating to and from work everyday. Their office-jobs are not opening any doors for them - that is all they have, and will most likely remain in that position (or ascend slightly higher) for their entire working life. The minority will be able to capitalise on their circumstances, environment and genetics (of which motivation and IQ are derived from), but the rest of us will have to make do with what he have. We aren't so lucky in that regard.

Platitudes galore. Just do this to get x - it will surely work! Not in the real world, and especially not in today's day and age of oversaturation and insane competition from not only your own country but overseas.
Exactly, couldn't have put it better myself. I don't understand boomers, they're delusional to the bone. "Hurr durr just go get a job and so you'll get super duper connections and you'll open a great business".

why you even wanna debate a boomer and your dad nontheless, just nod say you agree and end the convertation, they just don't get it, family slave mindset sitting on some past success.
Swiping Old Man GIF
Man, how many time I told myself to do just that. But my dad is literally, literally the only person I talk to irl. Haven't talked to anybody else in months, and if you don't count my count of a mother, in years. So inevitably I end up conversing with him, and since most of what he says is boomer shit, I can't always just nod and move on. Otherwise I'd just be nodding all day.

Bad Boy

Bad Boy

Gang gang
Jan 19, 2023
Working won’t open any doors for you, it also won’t get you important connections that would be useful to you, also just because you worked somewhere and got the experience of that specific job, doesen’t mean you can just open your own business, because this requires a lot of money to begin with to invest, which you won’t get by working in a normal job.

The only valid reason to work a normal job would be the salary, if you need it.

Activity
So far there's no one here