Discussion The Noble Art of Manly Tears

Aedra

Aedra

NEET
Nov 26, 2020
Let's assume you're crying in public, how would you expect the random people seeing you to react to that? You might even be shamed for it, because it is almost as if we men are not allowed to have feelings anymore, society acts as if we are supposed to be as tough as stone, never show any weakness, especially not to a woman and generally the idea of ''being a man'' boils down to having no feelings. And from this you might assume it has always been this way, in fact, you might assume men were expected to be even tougher than now in the past, but that simply wasn't the case, at least not for europe, I want to go into how our culture went from men intentionally crying in public to impress their peers to a culture that shames it in this thread.

People assume that the reason men cry less than women is because 1. There is social pressure not to do so (correct) 2. Men are biologically hardwired to cry less (false) for most of history, men have cried openly in public, without any shame for it whatsoever, and during medieval times, a person genuinely crying was romanticized as a good thing, that includes both men and women of course. I will now give both ancient and medieval examples of how romanticized crying was.

Quoting from an article :

"Consider Homer’s Iliad, in which the entire Greek army bursts into unanimous tears no less than three times. King Priam not only cries but tears his hair and grovels in the dirt for woe. Zeus weeps tears of blood, and even the immortal horses of Achilles cry buckets at the death of Patroklos. Of course, we can’t regard the Iliad as a faithful account of historical events, but there’s no question that ancient Greeks saw it as a model for how heroic men should behave."

Some medieval examples :

"This exaltation of male weeping continued into the Middle Ages, where it appears in historical records, as well as fictional accounts. In chronicles of the period, we find one ambassador repeatedly bursting into tears when addressing Philip the Good, and the entire audience at a peace congress throwing themselves on the ground, sobbing and groaning as they listen to the speeches. In the 11th-century French epic The Song of Roland, the poet describes this reaction to the death of the eponymous hero: ‘The lords of France are weeping bitter tears,/ And 20,000 faint in their grief and fall.’ We can be pretty sure this didn’t happen as described, but it’s still remarkable that 20,000 knights swooning from grief were considered noble, not ridiculous."

"Furthermore, the sobbing male hero wasn’t only a Western phenomenon; he appears in Japanese epics as well. In The Tale of Heike, which is often cited as a source for the ideal behaviour of a samurai, we find men crying demonstratively at every turn. Here’s a typical response to the death of a commander-in-chief: ‘Of all who heard, friend or foe, not one but wept until his sleeves were drenched.’"

Now, you might say, 'but these are all examples concerning political events or things related to death and war, surely, men would be shamed for crying for small matters?' They were not, because we have examples of those too.

"In medieval romances, we find innumerable instance of knights crying purely because they miss their girlfriends. In Chrétien de Troyes’ The Knight of the Cart, no less a hero than Lancelot weeps at a brief separation from Guinevere. At another point, he cries on a lady’s shoulder at the thought that he won’t get to go to a big tournament. What’s more, instead of being disgusted by this snivelling, she’s moved to help, and Lancelot gets to go to the tournament after all. The knights of King Arthur, King Mark, King Everyone are routinely reduced to tears every time they’re told a heart-wrenching story. It’s hard to think of any niche situations in which tears might exclusively still be the province of women.

Still more remarkably, there’s no mention of the men in these stories trying to restrain or hide their tears. No one pretends to have something in his eye. No one makes an excuse to leave the room. They cry in a crowded hall with their heads held high. Nor do their companions make fun of this public blubbing; it’s universally regarded as an admirable expression of feeling."

Until rather recent times, men literally forced themselves to cry in public to impress their peers, for this reason there was only one type of 'crying' that medieval people hated, the 'hypocritical' crying would be when someone cried not because of genuine feelings, but for the sake of manipulation and so on.

"Weeping was such a central part of worship that it was written into the rules of monastic orders as a required accompaniment of prayer and repentance. Throughout the medieval era, disapproval of crying is confined to hypocritical tears, which were understood to be common in both men and women."

Worth noting that only scandinavians were pretty dry-eyed throughout this era, in fact, a man crying in public was punishable with death in scandinavian countries before scandinavia was christianized. They can now cry a river for their norse pagan religion I guess.

Source for this thread : https://aeon.co/essays/whatever-happened-to-the-noble-art-of-the-manly-weep

AI-cel

AI-cel

Hikkikomori
Dec 8, 2022
cry-crying.gif

Aedra

Aedra

NEET
Nov 26, 2020
medieval times honestly sounds a lot better than today outside materialistic aspects.
Depends on the period, in spiritual and social aspects it was definitely better, but you could also meet a really abrupt end if you happened to be very unlucky, I would not want to be a citizen of Constantinople in 1453 for obvious reasons as an example.

And when we say ''medieval times'' we're talking about a period that covers nearly 1000 years, starting with 476 and ending with 1453 or 1492, a lot of things change during all of that, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse, progress is not linear. But still, full scale wars became more common after the medieval era ended, most conflicts were small time stuff with relatively few casualties (think of like a few thousand, compared to millions of people dying in the wars to follow during the 1600's, like in the 30 years war.) Also, there was no conscription for the masses in medieval europe, you'd only have to worry about being sent off to die in some war if you were born a noble, they were trained from childhood to go to war, and generally lived a dangerous life.

As a general rule, the years between 476-800 were not exactly nice times to be alive, but after that, it was mostly okay until the 1340's, then there was more bad times to follow.

Lain

Lain

NEET
Jul 19, 2021
There is a biological aspect, women feel emotions more strongly because they're low T. Testosterone suppresses strong negative emotion, crying is not a good adaptive strategy for a male, if you're in a high stress situation, it's likely nobody is coming to save you as a man. When women start injecting testosterone (some for medical reasons, i.e not trying to be a tranny) they go from crying like 15x a month to crying once every few years.

I've tried to make myself cry during sad scenes in anime, it just doesn't work. You can't say every single male alive is somehow psyopd by Jews or society to inhibit crying, if that was the case we'd all cry secretly at least to sad shit. I think the last time I cried was 3-4 years ago, it sucks if anything, iirc prolactin or another neurotransmitter is boosted an insane amount in women and that makes them cry.

Women can cry to mid tier melodramatic shit anime, can you imagine being that emotionally connected to shit characters? Mogs me

Aedra

Aedra

NEET
Nov 26, 2020
There is a biological aspect, women feel emotions more strongly because they're low T. Testosterone suppresses strong negative emotion, crying is not a good adaptive strategy for a male, if you're in a high stress situation, it's likely nobody is coming to save you as a man. When women start injecting testosterone (some for medical reasons, i.e not trying to be a tranny) they go from crying like 15x a month to crying once every few years.

I've tried to make myself cry during sad scenes in anime, it just doesn't work. You can't say every single male alive is somehow psyopd by Jews or society to inhibit crying, if that was the case we'd all cry secretly at least to sad shit. I think the last time I cried was 3-4 years ago, it sucks if anything, iirc prolactin or another neurotransmitter is boosted an insane amount in women and that makes them cry.

Women can cry to mid tier melodramatic shit anime, can you imagine being that emotionally connected to shit characters? Mogs me
Have you considered that the reason you cry less could be because you've conditioned yourself not to, since that's the kind of society you grew up in? I personally don't deny that males may be less likely to cry, but I don't think there's a huge difference on this, it would be a minor difference, if anything. I personally feel like crying a lot, and very easily. Last time I cried was a few weeks ago.

Lain

Lain

NEET
Jul 19, 2021
Most of the examples used are romanticized stories as well, like wars and fictional stories. These are always exaggerated, I find it hard to believe hundreds of niggers started bursting out in tears listening to some neetcel going on a speech. Feels like a femoid lecturing about how masculinity suppresses emotions, I'd bawl my eyes out constantly if I could 100%.

Aedra

Aedra

NEET
Nov 26, 2020
Most of the examples used are romanticized stories as well, like wars and fictional stories. These are always exaggerated
The article adresses this point, even romance novels from the period have men cry for the most trivial and minor things, so it isn't just a thing of exaggaration, since the way the act of crying is perceived seems like it was romanticized, like you said, and that's the point.
I find it hard to believe hundreds of niggers started bursting out in tears listening to some neetcel going on a speech. Feels like a femoid lecturing about how masculinity suppresses emotions, I'd bawl my eyes out constantly if I could 100%.
Of course not, again, the article adresses this point, those stories with thousands of people crying at once are of course fictional, not real.

Lain

Lain

NEET
Jul 19, 2021
Have you considered that the reason you cry less could be because you've conditioned yourself not to, since that's the kind of society you grew up in? I personally don't deny that males may be less likely to cry, but I don't think there's a huge difference on this, it would be a minor difference, if anything. I personally feel like crying a lot, and very easily. Last time I cried was a few weeks ago.
No, I've spent my life largely being an outcast. I've never been properly conditioned by society, I had straight Fs in school and stopped going at 13. I've been a neetcel since, rejecting any societal norms, watching weeb shit, having no friends really. I don't feel emotions like women. Watching shit movies with my sisters makes me understand that, how they're crying and sobbing over mid characters. Last time I cried was to LoGH. It's the only time in recent years I felt compelled to cry, even though several family members have died, honestly didn't feel sad, just how life is, we live, we die. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I've got nothing against crying and would if I felt as strongly as you do, I suppose

Aedra

Aedra

NEET
Nov 26, 2020
Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I've got nothing against crying and would if I felt as strongly as you do, I suppose
Yes, I think that about sums it up, different personalities.

Unemployed

Unemployed

McMahonist
Nov 28, 2020
Let's assume you're crying in public, how would you expect the random people seeing you to react to that?
I remember few times when I've cried. Usually in private. The last time I remember crying in public... I can't tell.

I know I cried in public back when I was 12. I lost a game of madden against a kid in my class. It was the first time I've played Madden. I didn't even know the rules.

I begged my mom to buy Madden to me after that humiliation. And I started to play the game every morning before going to school. I didn't wanna lose a game of Madden anymore.

wrestlemania xxv wrestling GIF by WWE

T

Thenettraveller

NEET
Jan 2, 2023
Genius post. I will mention what you wrote to anyone who feels ashamed of crying.
Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ cried too, three times, as mentioned in the Bible.

Aedra

Aedra

NEET
Nov 26, 2020
Genius post. I will mention what you wrote to anyone who feels ashamed of crying.
Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ cried too, three times, as mentioned in the Bible.
"Weep over your sin : it is a spiritual ailment ; it is death to your immortal soul, it deserves ceaseless, unending weeping and crying, let all tears flow from it, and sighing come forth without ceasing from the depths of your heart." -Saint Basil the Great

Amen.

Activity
So far there's no one here